When you look below, you can see that there’s quite a bit to do, even when we don’t have a festival or major event at the arena!
If you own a family-oriented business, school or learning center and would like to be added to this roll-up, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org with description, location, hours of operation, cost and contact info. You’ll be considered for addition to this page.
Inclusion of a business or activity on this page does not necessarily indicate that I personally endorse the business or activity. I cannot possibly review every single family-oriented business/activity in Laredo.
This list is NOT complete by any means. Development of this page relies heavily on reader input.
Please spread the word and send in the info so that we can all benefit from your knowledge. Thanks!
Happy Activities, Good Luck and Have Fun!
And be sure to keep up with monthly family happenings
through the Critters And Crayons Facebook Page Laredo Community Round-Up!
Located: 5300 San Dario ( Inside Mall del Norte next to Dillards) A children’s museum that is free for Museum Members and children under 1; $4 per child, $3 per adult; Phone: (956) 728-0404 Website: Imaginarium
The LCC Environmental Science Center
Located: West End Washington Street at Laredo Community College. It’s Laredo’s mini “zoo” full of indigenous animals and plants! Adult: $4, Ages 4-18: $2. Under 4: Free, Senior Citizens $2; Phone: (956) 764-5701
The Rio Grande or Lakes To Kayak
Located: On the Rio Grande, Alexander Lake, Lake Casa Blanca or The Lost Lakes. Big River Outfitters offers Kayak rentals. (The Rio Grande is more appropriate for teens and lakes are better for younger kids.) See website for fees at www.BigRiverOutfitters.org Phone: 956-209-1879.
Lake Casa Blanca
Located at 5102 Bob Bullock not far from the Airport. Beautiful pier, huge playground, RV camping, lake beach and picnic areas. See the website for fees. Texas Parks_Lake Casa Blanca. Phone: 956/725-3826
A Splash Park
The Splash Parks fall under The City of Laredo Parks & Leisure Services. There are 6 of them! They’re free and awesome during the Summer heat! City of Laredo Parks And Leisure Site. Phone: 795-2350
- Review of 6 Laredo Splash Parks
- When it’s over a hundred, go to the splash park.
- Toddler Play Dates At the Splash Park
The Laredo Public Library
Located at 1120 E. Calton Rd. The library hosts several recurring events each week (varies by season) and also hosts special events and visits (like Dinosaur Quest and the Book Festival). Library Calendar Link. Phone: (956) 795-2400
- Laredo Public Library Summer Reading Program
- Dinosaur Quest Was Awesome
- Book Love In Laredo
- The Laredo Book Festival
Located on the TAMIU campus. The Planetarium hosts shows for all ages. The Little Star That Could is fantastic for toddlers and younger! There is also a Big Bird show that appeals to younger children. A large variety of shows are available for older kids. Phone: (956)326-3663
Jett Bowl Bowling Alley
Located: 701 Gale Street; Shoe Rental: $2.50, Each Game: $2.50 to $4.75; Phone: 956) 724-2695.
A Nature Trail
(Eagle Scout, Las Palmas, Paso Del Indio)
The Eagle Scout Trail is free and is open to the public near Slaughter Park at Hendricks and Chacon. The Paso del Indio Trail is located at the LCC Environmental Science Center at West End Washington Street. Call the LCC Environmental Science Center to confirm times the Paso del Indio Trail will be open at 956) 764-5701. The Las Palmas Trail is open to the public and is located by Bridge #2 (directions in the post on hiking below).
The Farmers Market
The Farmers Market is held the third Saturday of every month and is run by Laredo Main Street! Website: Laredo Main Street Farmers Market. 956-523-8814
A Professional Sports Game
Any Of The 61 City Parks
Laredo boasts a lot of parks for its relatively small size. Some favorites of ours? Father McNaboe Park at 100 Rancho Viejo, and North Central Park at the intersection of International and San Ysidro. Also love Slaughter Park at the intersection of Hendricks and Chacon because that’s the location of the Community Garden and the gorgeous Eagle Scout Trail. Website: Laredo Parks and Recreation. Phone: 795-2350.
The Laredo Center For The Arts
Located at 500 San Agustin. The Laredo Center for the Arts has rotating exhibits every month. Kids love to see the art and sculpture! Just need to keep little hands off the artwork! It’s a great place to go after the Farmers Market! Website: Laredo Center For The Arts. Phone: 725-1715
A Dramatic Theater Production
Laredo Little Theater, Laredo Theater Guild, Teatro Chicano, Peggy’s Kids, and LITE do dramatic theater productions throughout the year. We’ve made it a Laredo Theater Guild International Production and were blown away! It’s a goal to make it to productions by other groups!
A Kids’ Cooking Class
Appetit Restaurant and Healthy Dish Kids Cooking Classes offer classes for kids. Great fun!
Appetit: Phone: 107 Called del Norte, Suite 2A; Website: http://www.appetitrestaurant.com
Healthy Dish: Phone: 956 235 1340; Website: Healthy Dish
A Craft Workshop
Throughout the month, several local businesses offer great workshops for kids! (Lowes, Michaels, Disney Store, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot)
HOURS OF OPERATION
|Disney Store||5300 San Dario Drive (Inside Mall del Norte)||Free||Generally hosts a monthly children’s event. Contact to confirm monthly dates.||This store hosts events such as a princess tea
party and other Disney-related activities.
|All ages||Website: Disney Store Phone:(956) 725-4062|
|Home Depot||5710 San Dario||Free||1st Saturday of each month at 9 AM||Register day of the event. Children build things like wheelbarrows,
trains, flower pots, etc.
|Ages 5 & up||Phone:(956) 753-8831Home Depot Kid Workshop|
|6623 San Dario||Free||1st & 2nd Sat of each
month (register online at www.lowes.com , click on “kids clinics” Only first 50 kids get in.
|Lowes provides the tools and materials to
construct fun items out of wood. For
instance, in October, kids constructed a spider out of wood
|Ages 5 & up||Phone:(956)-753-7033Lowe’s Kid Workshop|
|Varies||Varies||Hobby Lobby has provided kids jewelry making workshops||Ages 5 & up||Phone: (956)
|Michaels||5510 San Bernardo||Free (most of the time)||Generally hosts a monthly children’s craft
event. Contact to confirm monthly
|Children make crafts with parents. For instance, children will make their own
ornaments in December.
|All ages||Phone:(956) 725-8497|
A Movie Theater
Go to the movie theater! A lot of local moms take advantage of the Cinemark Movie Deals! You can find a bunch of them on this site: Cinemark Website.
|5412 San Bernardo||Phone: 956-791-9931 Website:Cinemark 12|
|2401 Jacaman||Phone: (956) 724-3456 Website:Hollywood Stadium 14
|5300 San Dario (in Mall)||Phone: (956) 725-0132 Website:Cinemark Mall Del Norte|
Movies, Music, Dance, Fine Arts and College Sports!
HOURS OF OPERATION
|LCC Guadalupe C. Lilia Martinez Fine Arts
|West End Washington St (Laredo Community College)||Varied||Varied||See productions in drama, comedy,
musicals, the Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra concerts, mariachi and more.
for Fine and Performing Arts
|5201 University Blvd||Varied||Varied||This center hosts recitals, music and dance
performances, the Laredo Philharmonic Orchestra and other fine arts
performances. This center also offers
classes for children in piano, voice, choir and dance.
|Varied||Phone:(956) 326-2654 Website:TAMIU Center Fine Arts|
|2400 San Bernardo||Varied||Varied||The civic center hosts exhibits and events. Call to learn about upcoming events.||Varied||Phone:(956) 794-1700 Website:Laredo Civic Center|
(The Dust Devils)
|TAMIU Campus||Varied||Varied||TAMIU Athletics Games and Laredo Heat soccer games||Varied||Website: Dust Devils|
|LCC Campus||Varied||Varied||Laredo Community College Athletics Games||Varied||Phone:(956) 721-5326 Website:LCC Athletics|
|6700 Arena Blvd||Varied||Varied||The arena hosts varied events: the circus, rodeo,
Sesame Street, music concerts, The Laredo Bucks, and more!
|Varied||Laredo Energy Arena|
Child and Family-Oriented Businesses.
Child and Parent Haircuts:
- Pigtails and Crewcuts: A great environment for your child or you to get a hair cut!
Infant and Toddler Play/Development:
- Blooming: Blooming is another Gymboree-style activity offered for parents of young children. They also offer art workshops! Contact and location info are contained in this blog post:
Literacy and Reading:
- HEB Plus: Located on Bob Bullock and McPherson, the store offers monthly readings with visiting characters! Check the Laredo Community Round-Up Facebook Page Photo Album for flyers and info no upcoming events!
- The Kids BoOkstore: Located on Del Mar (see link for more info), this store offers readings,yoga, puppet shows and crafts! Excellent selection of children’s books! Location, contact info and photos in the C&C Blog Post about Book and Literacy Resources in Laredo.
Music and Dance:
- Lilly Hachar Dance Studio: My daughter attended ballet here. They offer other styles of dance. Very professional and good with kids.
- TAMIU Dance and Music: See chart above for TAMIU Performing Arts
- Music Together For Laredo Families: A Research-based Family Music Program
- The Laredo Martial Arts Center: 604 W Calton Rd # A, Laredo -(956) 744-0725
Gymnastics and Cheerleading:
- Jischke Gymnastics: Gymastics instruction for kids 2 and up!
- Kids In Perfect Shape: Recreational gymnastics instruction.
Eateries With Kid Activities:
- Chick-Fil A: Chick-Fil A tends to offer famly deals and family events on a monthly basis. We have three locations in Laredo! Chick-fil-A at Laredo, Chick-fil-A at North Laredo and Chick-fil-A at Bob Bullock! Here are some of the things we’ve done at the Chick-Fil A’s in Laredo!
C&C Post: Our Chick-Fil-A Chuckle
C&C Post: Cow Costumes For Cow Appreciation Day
C&C Post: We Appreciate Cows and Free Food
- Chuck E Cheese: At Mall del Norte!
- Peter Piper Pizza: Another fun eatery for kids.
- McDonald’s On Del Mar and McPherson: This McDonalds has been newly renovated and has the best fast food playplace in the whole city. You can see pics and a short write up here:
Faith-Based Children’s Activities:
AWANAS: First Baptist Church on Del Mar has a program:
Schools, Pre-Schools and Daycares in Laredo:
Coming Soon! Write in to email@example.com if you have recommended additions!
Intelligym: A pre-school. Located at 249 Northpoint Drive
Laredo, TX 78041-5908, Phone: (956) 717-1142
Mundo Montessori: A Ppe-school. Located at 1701 Peaceful Meadows Ct Laredo, TX 78041. Phone number: (956) 791-6620. Facebook:
- Eureka Learning Center: A new learning center to help Laredo’s kids excel in math and reading! Contact info and location in the blog link with a video here:
- Vivace Music Academy (956)723-3331 M-F 7:15am-6:00pm. State-licensed childcare center, using Pre-K curriculum with Music Enrichment to enhance learning. Accepting after-school, part-time, and drop-ins, as well as CCS. We also offer after school music classes in all instruments and voice at affordable prices for ages 4 – adult.
- Dr. Adolfo Aldape, Pediatrician and Internal Medicine. 5702 McPherson Rd, Suite, 20. 956-795-8265.
- Safari Pediatrics, 10710 McPherson Rd, Ste 101. 956-724-7145.
- Kool Smiles Laredo. 5300 San Dario Ave C2. 956-723-6568.
SEASONAL: Laredo Summer Camps!
- C&C Listing Of Laredo Summer Camps 2011
- Intelligym’s Summer Camps (20 Themes!)
- Laredo Summer Camps 2012